What is the first thought that pops into your head when you hear the words “first date?” I often hear the phrase, “I have nothing to wear!”
Nerves aside, there is nothing quite like the rush you get before a first date. Your mind begins to race. What will you talk about? What will you order? When the check comes do you offer to pay? And before you know it, your plate of hypothetical questions is full.
You’re nervous for good reason, first dates are the foundation of a potential relationship. It can be a lot of pressure but follow these 5 simple rules and rest assured, your date will run smooth.
1. Wear something comfortable. Of course you want to dress to impress but a first date is not the time to learn how to walk in sky-high heels. Unless you consider yourself a pro, my suggestion is choose another option, perhaps a kitten heel or wedge? This way you can focus on the conversation, not the pavement.
Now for clothing, comfortable doesn’t mean you should throw on a tank and sweats. Wear something that makes you feel relaxed, both physically and emotionally. Choose an outfit that always makes you feel confident and leave that new dress at home; do you really want to find out it is completely sheer in the restaurant’s lighting right across from your date? And be sure the outfit doesn’t just look good standing. You want to feel comfortable whether you’re sitting, standing or taking a long, romantic after-dinner stroll.
2. Leave a little mystery. Yes, you do want to show some skin but not enough to make you look like your date’s escort for the evening. Keep it classy. Show off a little leg or cleavage but not simultaneously. You don’t want to portray an image of something you are not. Reveal just enough to gain his attention and leave him wanting more.
3. Dress for the occasion. Everyone loves a good surprise but will you enjoy that Broadway show in your ripped jeans and booties? Or will you miss the first act because you were too focused on that dress you wish you had worn instead? Don’t let the location of your first date be a surprise. Try to find out where you are going and Google the dress code. You will thank yourself later.
4. Feel beautiful. No matter what you choose to wear, make the decision to feel beautiful. If you feel attractive and amazing your date will take notice, trust me. Be confident and you won’t just feel hot, you’ll look hot! Soon you’re going to have more first date offers than you can handle.
5. Be yourself. The last and most important rule is simple, just be yourself. If someone else doesn’t like you for who you are, then that person is clearly not right for you. Don’t pretend to be anyone else but yourself because there are a lot of people out there who will love you for exactly who you are, nothing more and nothing less. Let that inner beauty shine through and show your true self, no matter what your style!
P.S. As always I would like to hear from you what is your rule when you go on the first date? How do you dress, and behave? Share your comments, tips and suggestions with the rest of us.